This week really has been quite rubbish!
I won’t dwell on it too much, but:
- work re-started on Wednesday (as did all the stress and the late nights in front of spreadsheets)
- 2 nights this week, I’ve been woken up in the middle of the night, and have had to take care of (and clean up after) puking children
- basically all my runs have been a struggle and have been cut short, either through lack of time/ childcare or because I was generally feeling pants
- I have been generally feeling pants quite a lot this week
- J has been away again, and looking after 3 kids on your own gets a bit knackering after a while (well…. after about 5 minutes or so…)
- it’s the wrong time of the month (this might actually explain much of the above)
- I have been very affected, to the point of tears, by the bloody awful stuff going on around the world right now (that I keep seeing in the news). (This might have been exacerbated a little by the above point, but it doesn’t take away from the fact that it is horrendous!)
And now… I’ve just found out that the swimming pool for the triathlon is having maintenance issues, so the triathlon has become a duathlon.
I was scared enough about doing a TRIathlon. I’m absolutely TERRIFIED about doing a duathlon. I’m not a runner!! I’m barely a swimmer, but I’m not a runner. And now, I have to run… and then cycle… and THEN RUN AGAIN!
I’m sitting here feeling like a child having a tantrum: I think I’ll probably come last (especially as the other slow people might all drop out now), and although it shouldn’t matter to me, it’s all about the taking part and all that, it will matter! I hate to admit it, but it will!
Okay… deep breath.
So… what am I ACTUALLY doing right now? I’m training for a marathon. That’s what this blog is all about, isn’t it?
So….. a duathlon will be a neat way of extending my aerobic training, without having to physically run for any longer. Let’s face it, it’s going to take me well over an hour overall. And I can’t RUN for well over an hour… yet. This can be the first step.
Come on, Niki. You can do this.