Thanks to Skinnyrunning for tagging me in this. I will also answer the Liebster Qs I’ve been given later this week.
- Would you rather run along a beach path or a mountain trail?
I’d always rather run by the sea. But not on the beach, next to the beach. When I trained for my first Half Marathon, I used to run along the seafront 2 or 3 times a week. I worked at sea, I grew up by the sea. I miss the sea now.
2. If you could choose the flavor of Gatorade at your next race’s aid stations, what would it be?
I have no idea! What is Gatorade? <clueless>
3. If you given a $100 git card to a running store, what would you purchase with it?
Trainers! I desperately need some trainers, but haven’t got round to getting any. Partly out of guilt (it feels extravagent when my current ones haven’t yet fallen apart) and partly through lack of time….
4. Do you prefer to use a training plan or wake up and then decide how far or fast you want to run?
At the moment, I’m just waking up and going with it. I have a vague idea that I’m trying to get to a “base” of about 15 miles per week over 3 runs. I’ll then start to up my mileage via a training plan, in preparation for the marathon next year (YIKES!)
5. Would you rather start your run with the uphill and end with the downhill or start your run with the downhill and end with the uphill?
Definitely the first option. Start with the hill and get it out of the way…
6. When you can’t run, what kind of cross-training do you choose to do?
I cycle nearly everywhere, often pulling a trailer (I only use the car when I have to), and I swim with a club once per week (would like to swim more often, but can’t fit it in).
7. What is your preference –> out and back, point to point, or loop runs?
mmmm…. when I run from home, I like loops. When I’m having to up my miles, I like point to point, so I have no choice but to keep going!
8. If you could recommend ANY running related item to a new runner it would be?
friends! (and music -I have a very very basic iPod, but that’s all you need).
I also have one of those stretchy neck scarf things. It’s great for wearing on your head, as well as on your neck. If you wear it on your head, it’s especially good for holding earphones in your ears when you’re running…
(It’s also pretty good at going round your neck/ mouth when you’re trying to keep midges/ mosquitos away)
9. Do you see any wild animals while out on your runs?
10. Ever gotten lost while out on a run?
Yes! They’re the best ones 🙂
11. If you could have one meal waiting and ready for you each time you got home from a run for the next 30 days… what would it be?
Nothing for half an hour or so… then… granola and yoghurt with freshly squeezed orange juice (as I usually run in the morning right now)
12. Capris or short? What do you run in most?
shorts in “summer” (I’m in the UK) and leggings in winter
13. At what mile (or how many minutes) into your run does your body start to feel like it is warming up and ready to go?
er…. erm….. dunno. 10 minutes or so?
14. What do you do with your key when you run?
Leave it at home! Or stick it in my pocket.
15. If you could relive any race that you have done in the past, which one?
My first ever half marathon. I didn’t even know if I’d finish it. I had never been a “runner”. I’d always been a bit crap at sport. I was self-conscious and unconfident.
I finished in under 2 hours (1 hr 56), and I felt like I’d just conquered Everest. My friend commented at the time that my parents had always been quite low key about my academic achievements (1st in my degree, PhD etc…), but they looked absolutely AMAZED and proud and completely over the moon when I crossed the finishing line of that half marathon.
16. What type of run is your least favorite?
Long runs on my own that I’m doing just to get the miles in.
17. When you go for a run, do you leave from your front door or drive somewhere to start?
Front door. Lucky to have park/ green stuff/ marshes etc nearby.
18. When running in daylight, are sunglasses a must or an annoyance?
annoyance! But I’m in the UK. They’re probably a necessity if you actually get sun… 😉
19. When you get tired, what keeps you from quitting?
hmmmm…. ask me this time next year. Not there, yet. I’ve only just started again. A fear that I’ll get fat/unfit/have to start from zero again? Don’t know…
So I shall now tag 4 of the blogs I’m really enjoying reading. There’s some great ones out there. Am really enjoying reading what people are up to. I’d love to read your answers to these questions if you get a chance.